In the intricate tapestry of relationships, there exists a pattern known as codependency — a pattern that can unravel our well-being and connections.
Embracing awareness is the initial step toward shedding light on this complex issue.
In this article, we’ll journey to uncover the common signs and crimson flags of codependency, equipping you or a loved one with the tools for transformative change.
The Dance of Codependency
Imagine a dance where one partner constantly leads, while the other follows without question.
This dance of codependency is marked by a relentless desire to support and enable, often at the cost of one’s essence and equilibrium.
Signs of Codependency
1. Excessive Caregiving: Codependents are often consumed by the needs of others, placing them above their own. They may feel compelled to fix their loved one’s problems, even if it means neglecting their well-being.
2. Shattered Self-Esteem: Codependents frequently grapple with a fragile sense of self-worth. Their validation and self-esteem become tethered to the approval of others, leaving their inner self overshadowed.
3. The Fear of Abandonment: Deep within the heart of codependency resides an unrelenting fear of abandonment. This fear drives codependents to extraordinary lengths to avoid solitude or rejection, sometimes forsaking their own needs.
4. Blurred Boundaries: For codependents, boundaries become elusive, their own needs often fading into the background. Saying no, establishing limits, and asserting their desires may feel like foreign concepts.
5. Emotional Repression: Expression of emotions can be challenging for codependents who suppress their feelings and need to evade discord or disapproval, leaving their emotions silenced.
6. Control Struggles: A codependent may embark on a quest to manipulate and control their loved one’s behavior, believing it is necessary for their well-being.
Given this complex topic, my colleague Jason Shiers and I, have set up a free group on FB to explore all of these – as part of our unraveling and exploration we are doing a 3-hour webinar called, “Unveiling Co-Dependency and Rediscovering Innate Well-Being”
This will take place this coming Friday at 10.30 am UK time via Zoom
There will be a replay for anyone who registers but cannot make it this time.
This will be an open forum for both men & women:
Session 1: Understanding Codependency and Innate Well-being – Introduction
- Segment 1: Unpacking Codependency
- Segment 2: Rediscovering Innate Mental Health
- Exercise: Reflection and Sharing
Session 2: Trauma, Conditioning, and the Impact on Mental Health
- Segment 1: Trauma and Conditioning
- Segment 2: The Stories We Live In
- Exercise: Unpacking Personal Narratives
- Segment 3: Codependency as a Coping Mechanism
Session 3: Healing and Transformation
- Segment 1: The Path to Liberation
- Segment 2: Group Reflection and Sharing
- Segment 3: Building a Supportive Community
- You can find the Unseen Trauma FB group here (for men & women)
- You can find my other ladies-only FB community here
- If you want to get some sunshine, I am running this year’s Rewilding Retreat in October (16-21st).
- The Retreat Itinerary is here Deep Nature Retreat October 2023-updated.pdf